Instructor: John Mehn. Assistants: Donald Wright, Naoko Boatwright.
This eight-week study program will investigate the challenges and opportunities to bring the gospel to the Japanese people and form them into faith communities (churches). What can be learned from effective ministry in Japan?
The course does not require any face-to-face interaction, so you can participate wherever you live.
The study of this course will help you answer some important questions: Where is God working in Japan? Where can we learn how to do ministry better? How can we revisit and rediscover the real strengths of the Japanese church? What is needed to revive the church in Japan? What are the most effective means of evangelizing and discipling Japanese in communities of faith?
Format for Course:
1. The main textbook is Multiplying Churches in Japanese Soil By John Wm. Mehn (2017), Available at Amazon:Multiplying Churches. Also, “Multiplying Churches” was published in Japanese in 2019 and available on Amazon or through Christian Bookstores in Japan.
2. Updates on the context in Japan distributed later.
3. Operation Japan and Prayer for Japan.
1. Weekly Observations (Approximately 200 words): Due every Saturday 11:59pm. “What I Have Learned.” This will be submitted on-line and posted on www.rjcnetwork.org, accessible by password only.
2. Students will read reports from other students weekly and make comments.
7. Attend two Conference Call Discussions.
Week 1 The Gospel & the Church in Japan- Read Introduction & Chapter 1
Week 2 Challenges for Churches in Japan- Read Chapter 2
Week 3 Japanese Religious Movements- Read Chapter 3 and other readings
Week 4 Multiplication Movements- Read supplemental readings with updates
Week 5 Strategic Perspectives on Ministry in Japan- Read Chapter 4
Week 6 Effective Models of Reproduction- Read Chapter 5 with updated case studies
Week 7 Developing Leaders for Reproducing Churches- Read Chapter 6
Week 8 Future Challenges for Japan- Read Chapter 7 with updates