Week 1 Family/Gender Issues September 7-13
Conference Call: The time for the call will be arranged so that the participants will all be able to get acquainted.
- Ann Crescini’s TED Talk in Japanese, “Understanding Worldview Changes Us”
Reading: 1. The Japanese Mind: Family/Gender Issues
- Ch. 22, Pg 179-186 “Good Wives and Wise Mother: The Social Expectations of Women in Japan,” Ryosaikenbo 良妻賢母
- Ch. 7, Pg 61-70 “Male and Female Relationships in Japan,” Danjyo Kankei 男女関係
- Ch. 16, Pg 135-142 “Childrearing Practices in Japan,” Ikuji 育児
- Ch. 14, Pg 119-126 The Japanese Ie 家 System
- Anne Crescini’s weekly blog. The title is 女性だから or Because I’m a Girl
Writing: Weekly Paper: “Impressions and Points from Your Reading”
- 1. Interact with the discussion questions at the end of each chapter.
- 2. Discuss how these cultural characteristics might affect your ministry with Japanese people.
- There is no minimum or maximum amount for this assignment. Use this as an opportunity to reflect and apply what you have read. This is to be written in your comment section of Japan 102.
- Read as many of the other students’ writings and comment on at least two of them.
- Pray daily for Japan and Japanese, using Operation Japan. Make a note in your blog concerning the information and/or your prayer.